|1||GS aims at providing relevant learning experiences to the students, so that they can be equipped with the abilities to face the ever-changing world and cope with challenges of the new century.|
|2||Develop school-based curriculum for GS, enhance students’ learning effectiveness: improve teachers’ teaching effectiveness by preparing teaching materials together and professional development. At the same time, develop the idea of protecting the environment and to raise students’ abilities in studies.|
|3||Develop students’ creativities by hands-on and minds-on learning experiences and problem-solving process. It emphasizes student inquiry and allows students to experience diversified learning activities, broaden their knowledge and develop 9 generic skills of students.|
|4||Enhance students’ interests towards surrounding environment, develop curiosity towards nature and human environment through self-experiences, care and love for surrounding environment.|
|5||Understand their roles in the society and citizenships through knowing more about local society and Chinese history and cultures, to devote and contribute to the country and the world.|
|6||Full-scale development of moral and civic education, enhance students’ personalities, develop students’ good living habits and right values, so as to enhance self-discipline.|
1. Develop generic skills of students through comprehensive experimental learning.
a.Organize different types of outdoor learning activities and task-based outdoor learning and visits for different years of students to broaden their horizons.
Visit Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens
P1 Visit Hong Kong Park
P2 Visit Lions Nature Education Centre
P3 Visit Hong Kong Wetland Park
P4 Visit Hong Kong Museumof History
P5 Visit Hong Kong Science Museum
P6 Visit Hong Kong Science Museum
Visit Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong
b. Participating in Student Environmental Protection Ambassador Scheme (Territory-wide)
Students will be participated in the Student Environmental Protection Ambassador Scheme organized by Environmental Campaign Committee and Education Bureau. The scheme aims to develop students’ sense of responsibilities in protecting the environment, and to encourage them to improve the environment actively.
Collecting red packets for recycling
2. Commence school-based curriculum for GS to create greater space for inquiry learning.
a. Preparation of teaching materials together and teachers’ professional development.
Enhance teaching effectiveness through preparing and adjusting teaching materials together and joining regular training for teachers, and increase students’ learning experience through inquiry and self-practice.
b. Conduct project learning activities to strengthen students’ inquiry and self-learning spirit. Nurture students’ problem solving skills, creative thinking skills and motivate their interest in science and technology through STEM activities.
Project Learning Week :Learning activities
On-site visit: a supermarket
On-site visit: the flower market
Preparing for the ‘Shadow Play’
Project Learning Week: STEM Activities
P1 Domestic Robot
P2 Ethnic Roly-poly toy
P3 Studying the effect of preservatives on fresh bread
P4 Water Filter
P5 Cam toy
P6 Water Rocket
Science learning activities
P5 Making telescopes and doing experiments
P6 Making cannons and doing experiments
3. Emphasize students’ affective development, so that students from different countries can understand about the cultures of other countries and to confirm their own nationalities while respecting others’ cultures.
a. Development of affective skills and attitude Works (in collaboration with moral and civic education group)
Organize school-based activities, including: singing of national anthem during weekly assembly, introducing latest development of China in ‘World vision’, organize learning exchange programme (visit different provinces in China), exhibiting recent photos of China, organizing cultural days to allow students from different countries to understand more about other countries’ cultures and learn to appreciate and assimilate with each other.
School environmental protection policy and management:
To provide a suitable learning environment for students to explore and learn, the school has set up an environmental learning group to promote environmental education and environmental protection and green school culture is one of the main focuses. Our environmental policy mainly consists of implementing effective environmental protection measures in our school operations, encourage students to obey with the environmental rules set by the school and the society, reduce on the use of energy and other resources, reduce production of waste and recycle or reuse useful resources where possible. Environmental Ambassadors take an active role to promote environmental protection both inside and outside our school. We maintain contacts outside campus to encourage students to participate more in environmental protection activities in the community. Exchanges are also held frequently for updated environmental protection information. In addition, our environmental protection unit monitors and records the effectiveness of environmental protection measures regularly for setting the target for each year.
Green campus features
Construct a small garden along the hill for students to appreciate the plants and for environmental education.
Green campus information
Post or exhibit information relating to environmental protection frequently, and encourage students to participate in environmental protection activities.
Other environmental protection actions:
- Promote recycling and separation of waste, purchase modern recycling bins.
- Re-use of recycled papers (Teachers use recycled paper for printing of draft and internal documents and encourage students to make full use of both sides of paper)
- Treasure campus facilities: keep the environment clean, protect environmental facilities, reduce waste and replacement, and reduce production of waste.
- Environmental friendly catering: prepare own utensils, encourage students to reduce the use of disposable utensils.
- Collection of unwanted clothes: collect unwanted uniforms for students in need.
- Energy saving measures, turn off power when leaving classrooms and after school, use fan instead of air conditioner with degrees of 25 of below, turn off lights during lunch to save energy.
- Encourage students to use handkerchiefs instead of tissue.
- Encourage students to attend environmental protection talks and activities.
- Conduct ‘Recycling of used New Year red packets’ activity.
- Construct an environmental corner at the library for students to read related information, newspapers and books.
- Construct environmental corner at the library to provide environmental friendly and comfortable environment for students to read related information, newspapers and books.
- Promote ‘Light & Breeze Garden’. Setting up of solar and wind power generation facilities for electricity supply of garden irrigation system, mosquito lamp and PE storeroom lighting.
- Include ‘Green topics’ at weekly assembly.
Participate in the ‘Hong Kong No Air Con Day’.
Participate in the Hong Kong Green School Award
Join the Greening School Subsidy Scheme
- Be the member of Green School Network by Green Power.
Participate in the ‘Cherish Water Campus’ Integrated Education Programme
- Encourage students tojoin the ‘One Person, One Flower’ Schem
- Participate in the ‘Energy Saving Charter 2017’
1. http://newgs.ephhk.com/jsp/student/new_forum.jsp?openPage=S New General Studies News Forum
2. http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/ Gov HK
3. http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/english/top.html Environmental Protection Department
4.http://www.hko.gov.hk/ Hong Kong Observatory
5. http://rthk.hk/rthk/news/englishnews/index_news.htm RTHK news
6. https://www.google.com.hk/?gws_rd=ssl Google
11.http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/ Science kids
12. http://www.primarygames.com/science.php Primary games
13. http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/science_games.html Learning games for kids
14. http://discoverykids.com/ Discovery kids