1. Overall Objectives
General Studies(GS) provides diversified learning experiences for students, so that they can gain a better understanding of themselves, society, the country and the world. GS also arouses students’ interests in learning, enables them to learn effectively and use generic skills to enquire issues related to science, technology and society. In addition, it cultivates positive values and attitudes for healthy personal and social developments.
The GS curriculum aims to enable students to:
- maintain healthy personal development and become confident, rational and responsible citizens;
- recognise their roles and responsibilities as members of the family and society, and care about the common good;
- develop sense of national identity and be committed to contributing to the nation and the world;
- develop curiosity and interests in the natural and technological worlds as well as understand the impact of science and technology on society;
- develop care and concern for the environment and practice green living.
2. Subject Introduction
2.1 Develop generic skills of students through comprehensive experimental learning.
2.1.a Organize different types of outdoor learning activities and task-based outdoor learning and visits for different
years of students to broaden their horizons
P. 1 Visit Hong Kong Park
P. 2 Visit Lions Nature Education Centre
P. 2 Visit Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden
P. 3 Visit Hong Kong Wetland Park
P. 4 Visit Hong Kong Museum of History
P. 5 Visit Hong Kong Science Museum
P. 6 Visit Hong Kong Science Park
Visit Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine, the University of Hong Kong
2.1.b Participating in Student Environmental Protection Ambassador Scheme (Territory-wide).
Students will participate in the Student Environmental Protection Ambassador Scheme, which is organised by the Environmental Campaign Committee, the Environmental Protection Department and the Education Bureau.
2.2. Commence school-based curriculum for GS to create greater space for inquiry learning.
2.2.a. Preparation of teaching materials together and teachers’ professional development. Enhance teaching effectiveness through preparing and adjusting teaching materials together and joining regular training for teachers, and increase students’ learning experience through inquiry and self-practice.
2.2.b. Conduct project learning activities to strengthen students’ inquiry and self-learning spirit. Nurture students’ problem solving skills, creative thinking skills and motivate their interest in science and technology through STEM activities. Project Learning Week: Learning activities
On-site visit: a library
On-site visit: the flower market
Workshop: cooking methods
Project Learning Week: STEM Activities
P. 1 Park Sign
P. 2 Ethnic Roly-poly toy
P. 3 Studying the effect of preservatives on fresh bread
P. 4 Water Filter
P. 5 Table Football Machine (Micro:bit)
P. 6 Water Rocket
Science learning activities
Conduct science learning activities to enhance and develop students’ inquiry spirit for science
P. 5 Making telescopes and doing experiments
P. 6 Making cannons and doing experiments
2.3 Emphasize students’ affective development, so that students from different countries can understand about the cultures of other countries and to confirm their own nationalities while respecting others’ cultures.
Development of affective skills and attitude Works (in collaboration with moral and civic education group) Organize school-based activities, including: singing of national anthem during weekly assembly, introducing latest development of China in ‘World vision’, organize learning exchange programme (visit different provinces in China), exhibiting recent photos of China, organizing cultural days to allow students from different countries to understand more about other countries’ cultures and learn to appreciate and assimilate with each other.
3. School Environmental Protection Policy and Management
To provide a suitable learning environment for students to explore and learn, the school has set up an environmental learning group to promote environmental education and environmental protection and green school culture is one of the main focuses. Our environmental policy mainly consists of implementing effective environmental protection measures in our school operations, encourage students to obey with the environmental rules set by the school and the society, reduce on the use of energy and other resources, reduce production of waste and recycle or reuse useful resources where possible. Environmental Ambassadors take an active role to promote environmental protection both inside and outside our school. We maintain contacts outside campus to encourage students to participate more in environmental protection activities in the community. Exchanges are also held frequently for updated environmental protection information. In addition, our environmental protection unit monitors and records the effectiveness of environmental protection measures regularly for setting the target for each year.
3.1 Green campus features
Construct a small garden along the hill for students to appreciate the plants and for environmental education.
Green campus information
Post or exhibit information relating to environmental protection frequently, and encourage students to participate in environmental protection activities.
3.2 Other environmental protection actions
• Promote recycling and separation of waste, purchase modern recycling bins.
• Re-use of recycled papers (Teachers use recycled paper for printing of draft and internal documents and encourage students to make full use of both sides of paper)
• Treasure campus facilities: keep the environment clean, protect environmental facilities, reduce waste and replacement, and reduce production of waste.
- Environmental friendly catering: prepare our own utensils, encourage students to reduce the use of disposable utensils.
- Collect unwanted uniforms for students in need.
- Energy saving measures: turn off power when leaving classrooms and after school, use fan instead of air conditioner with degrees of 25 or below.
- Encourage students to use handkerchiefs instead of tissue.
- Encourage students to attend environmental protection talks and activities.
- Conduct ‘Recycling of used New Year red packets’ activity.
- Construct an environmental corner at the library for students to read related information, newspapers and books.
- Promote ‘Light & Breeze Garden’. Setting up of solar and wind power generation facilities for electricity supply of garden irrigation system, mosquito lamp and PE storeroom lighting.
- Include ‘Green topics’ at weekly assembly.
- Participate in the Hong Kong No Air Con Night.
- Participate in the Hong Kong Green School Award.
- Participate in the Planting Herbs in School Scheme.
- Join the Greening School Subsidy Scheme.
- Be the member of Green School Network by Green Power.
- Participate in the ‘Cherish Water Campus’ Integrated Education Programme.
- Encourage students to join the ‘One Person, One Flower’ Scheme.
- Participate in Be the Change Week HK.
New General Studies Pupil’s Zone
Environmental Protection Department
Hong Kong Observatory
NASA for Students
BBC – Science for P. 1-3
BBC – Science for P. 4-6
Primary games – Science
Learning Games for Kids – Science Experiment Games